KORC Checklists (updated 17/04/2016):
KORC Annotated Checklist of Birds in English
KORC Annotated Checklist of Birds in Arabic
Addition to Kuwait Bird Checklist since last update on 10/08/2015:
Three new species have been added to Category A since last update on 04/02/2015:
- Plain Leaf Warbler Phylloscopus neglectus 1st - 1 on 15/04/2015 at Muta'a Ranch, Markus Craig.
- Masked Booby Sula dactylatra 1st - 1 on 01/04/2015 at Jahra Pools Reserve, Omar Al-Shaheen.
- Sabine's Gull Xema sabini 1st - 1 on 31/07/2015 at Jahra Pools Reserve, Mike Pope and Neil Tovey.
Recent Rarities accepted on 10/08/2015 since last update on 04/02/2015:
- Plain Leaf Warbler Phylloscopus neglectus 1st - 1 on 15/04/2015 at Muta'a Ranch, Markus Craig.
- Greater White-fronted Goose Anser albifrons 4th - 2 on 20/01/2015 at JPR, H Bouresli.
- Grey-necked Bunting Emberiza buchanani 4th - 1 on 24/01/2015 at Al Abraq by M Craig and one probable on 23/01/2015 H Bouresli.
- Pallid Scops Owl Otus brucei 12th - 1 on 30/01/2015 at Green Island, Neil Tovey.
- Pallid Scops Owl Otus brucei 13th - 1 on 03/02/2015 at Al Abraq, M Craig
- Pallid Scops Owl Otus brucei 14th - 1 on 05/02/2015 at Al Liyah, A Al-Jeraiwi and O Al-Shaheen.
- Hooded Crow Corvus cornix 2nd - 1 on 07/02/2015 at Jahra Pols Reserve, M Craig.
- Red-breasted Merganser Mergus serrator 2nd - 1 on 11/02/2015 at Jahra Pools Reserve, M Craig.
- Masked Wagtail Motacilla (alba) personata 5th - 1 on 15/02/2015 at Jahra East Outfall by Neil Tovey.
- Striated Heron Butorides striata 4th - 1 on 21/02/2015 at Khiran Marina, Mike Pope.
- Desert Finch Rhodospiza obsoleta 12th - 8 on 21/02/2015 at and 3 on 23/05/2015 Khiran (South of Khor), Ammar Al-Jeraiwi and Mike Pope respectively.
- Desert Finch Rhodospiza obsoleta 13th - 2 on 07/03/2015 at Sea City (North of Khor), Mike Pope.
- Grey Phalarope Phalaropus fulicarius 8th - 1 on 28/02/2015 at Entertainment City, A.Al-Sirhan.
- Grey Phalarope Phalaropus fulicarius 9th - 2 on 16/04/2015 at Jahra Pools Reserve, Markus Craig.
- Spur-winged Lapwing Vanellus spinosus 14th - 2 on 03/03/2015 at Jahra Pool Reserve, Omar Al-Shaheen.
- Little Gull Hydrocoloeus minutus 6th - 1 on 01/04/2015 at Jahra Pools Reserve, M Craig.
- Great Snipe Gallinago media 11th - 1 on 13/04/2015 at JahraPools Reserve, Markus Craig.
- Red-headed Bunting Emberiza bruniceps 9th - 1 on 24/04/2015 at Muta'a Ranch, Markus Craig.
- Black Scrub Robin Cercotrichas podobe 3rd - 1 on 24/04/2015 at Al Dhahar Area, Mohammad Shah.
- Black Scrub Robin Cercotrichas podobe 4th - 1 on 09/05/2015 at Kuwait Zoo, Faisal Al-Nomas.
- Sooty Shearwater Puffinus griseus 3rd - 1 on 23/05/2015 at Mina Al Zour by Mike Pope, then 2 on 25/05/2015 at Jahra Pools Reserve by Omar Al-Shaheen.
- Arctic Tern Sterna paradisaea 6th - 2 on 13/06/2015 at Jahra Pool Reserve, Omar Al-Shaheen.
- Long-tailed Skua Stercorarius longicaudus 4th - 1 on 01/07/2015 at Jahra Pools Reserve, Omar Al-Shaheen.
Recent Rarities accepted on 04/02/2015 since last update on 04/11/2014:
- Lesser Flamingo Phoeniconaias minor - 3rd - 1 on 06/11/2014 at Sulaibikhat Bay, by Kane Brides, Robbie Hawkins and AbdulRahman Al-Sirhan.
- Ring Ouzel Turdus torquatus - 8th - 1 on 03/12/2014 at Al-Abraq by Mohammad Murad.
- Rock Bunting Emberiza cia - 4th - 1 on 02/12/2014 at Al-Abraq, Mohd Khorshed.
- Pallid Scops Owl Otus brucei - 11th - 1 on 07/12/2014 at Um Niqqa Farms, Khalaf Al-Fahad.
- Olive-backed Pipit Anthus hodgsoni - 9th - 1 on 08/12/2014 at Al-Abraq, M Khorshed.
- Hawfinch Coccothraustes coccothraustes - 1st - 1 on 06/11/2014 at Jahra Pools Reserve, by M. Khorshed.
- Desert Finch Rhodospiza obsoleta - 11th - 1 on 10/11/2014 at Sabhan Area by Saad Al-Nouri
- Purple Sunbird Cinnyris asiaticus - 2nd - 2 on 11/11/2014 at Al-Khiran by Khalaf Al-Fahad.
- European Greenfinch Chloris chloris - 2nd - 1 on 29/11/2014 at Jahra Pools Reserve, Mohd Khorshed.
- Sociable Lapwing Vanellus gregarius - 8th - 1 on 06/11/2014 at Jahra Pools Reserve, by Ammar Al-Jeraiwi.
- White-tailed Eagle Haliaeetus albicilla - 2nd - 1 on 11/12/2014 at Jahra Pools Reserve, Yousef Al-Failakawy, Faisal Al-Nomass.< br/>
- Long-eared Owl Asio otus - 5th - 2 on 05/12/2014 at Al-Abraq, K Al-Ghanem.
- Long-eared Owl Asio otus - 6th - 1 on 05/12/2014 at Jahra Pools Reserve, by Abdullatif Asiri.
- Hume's Leaf Warbler Phylloscopus humei - 5th - 1 on 03/12/2014 at Al-Abraq, by O Al-Shaheen, H Al-Shayji.
- Goldcrest Regulus regulus - 2nd - 2 on 01/12/2014 at Al-Abraq by Hamad Bouresli.
Recent Rarities accepted on 04/11/2014 since last update on 14/07/2014:
- Black Tern Chlidonias niger - 14th - 1 on 25/07/2014 at JEO O Al-Shaheen.
- Red Knot Calidris canutus - 3rd - 1 on 07/08/2014 at JPR by Rashed Al-Hajji.
- Thick-billed Lark Ramphocoris clotbey - 7th - 2 on 19/08/2014 at Abduliyah KOC Reserve, H Al-Shayji.
- Paddyfield Warbler Acrocephalus agricola - 3rd - 1 on 25/08/2014 at Jahra East Outfall, R Al-Hajji.
- Paddyfield Warbler Acrocephalus agricola - 4th - 1 on 09/09/2014 at Al-Abraq, H Bouresli.
- Grey Phalarope Phalaropus fulicarius - 7th - 1 on 02/09/2014 at Jahra Pools Reserve, K Al-Khanem.
- Demoiselle Crane Grus virgo - 9th - 1 on 12/09/2014 shot dead by a hunter at Gulf Road, reported by Abdulaziz Al-Yousef.
- Rufous Turtle Dove Streptopelia (orientalis) meena - 12th - 1 on 09/10/2014 at Jahra Pools Reserve, Omar Al-Shaheen.
- Striated Heron Butorides striata - 3rd - 1 on 17/10/2014 at Jahra Pool Reserve, Mohammad Hamza Askar.
- Pallid Scops Owl Otus brucei - 10th - 1 on 23/10/2014 at Al-Abraq, H Bouresli, M Khorshed.
- Greater White-fronted Goose Anser albifrons - 3rd - 7 on 31/11/2014 at JPR, O Al-Shaheen, H Al-Shayji.
Addition to Kuwait Bird Checklist since last update on 14/07/2014:
Three new species/subspecies have been added to Category A since last update (31/12/2013):
- Variable Wheatear Oenanthe picata 1st - 1 on 24/03/2014 at Liyah Reserve, R Al-Hajji.
- Hooded Crow Corvus cornix 1st - 1 on 10/06/2014 at Kubbar Island, A Vidalis, S Zoogaris.
- Black-eared Kite Milvus (migrans) lineatus
KORC has decided to treat the wintering species of the Black Kite as of the subspecies Black-eared Kite Milvus (migrans) lineatus. The status of this subspecies is now considered by KORC to be a wintering species. The nominate race is considered to be a passage migrant only.
Recent Rarities (15 and less) accepted by KORC since last update (31/12/2013):
- Pallid Scops Owl Otus brucei - 2nd - 1 on 20/02/2005 at Tulha, SAANR, A. Al-Sirhan.
- Sociable Lapwing Vanellus gregarius - 6th - 4 shot dead by bird shooters, at Ritqa on 13/03/2013 reported A. Al-Surayae.
- Pallid Scops Owl Otus brucei - 9th - 1 on 02/01/2014 at Al-Abraq, A.Al-Sirhan, G. Brown.
- Sociable Lapwing Vanellus gregarius - 7th - 2 shot dead by bird shooters at Ritqa on 18/02/2014 reported by Omar Al-Shaheen.
- Barbary Falcon Falco (peregrinus) pelegrinoides - 5th - 1 on 18/03/2014 at Sabhan, Saad Al-Nouri.
- Streak-throated Swallow Petrochelidon fluvicola - 2nd - 2 on 14/04/2014 at Jahra Pool Reserve, Birdfinder Group.
- Golden Eagle Aquila chrysaetos - 9th - 1 on 15/04/2014 at Jahra Pool Reserve, M Craig.
- Eastern Nightingale Luscinia (megarhynchos) golzii - 4th - 1 on 17/04/2014 at Mutla Farm, Hamad Boresli.
- Eastern Nightingale Luscinia (megarhynchos) golzii - 5th - 1 on 17/04/2014 at Kabd Reserve, Omar Al-Shaheen.
- Eastern Nightingale Luscinia (megarhynchos) golzii - 6th - 1 on 26/04/2014 at Abdaly Farms, A.Al-Sirhan.
- Eastern Nightingale Luscinia (megarhynchos) golzii - 7th - 1 on 29/04/2014 at Wafra,Humoud Al-Shayji.
- Striolated Bunting Emberiza striolata - 3rd - 1 on 23/04/2014 at Mutla Farm, Hamad Boresli.
- Rustic Bunting Emberiza rustica - 3rd - 1 shot dead on 28/04/2004 at Entertainment City, reported by Mike Pope.
- Sooty Shearwater Puffinus griseus - 2nd - 1 on 24/05/2014 at Kuwait Bay, O.Al-Shaheen, H.Al-Shayji, A.Al-Yousef.
- Black Tern Chlidonias niger - 13th - 1 on 10/06/2014 at JEO, Mohd Khorshed.
- Dalmatian Pelican Pelecanus crispus - 8th - 2 on 15/06/2014 at Buobyan Island, K & N Al-Nasrallah, P. Fagel.
- Striated Heron Butorides striata - 2nd - 1 on 06/07/2014 at Jahra Pool Reserve, K.Al-Ghanem.
De-lists since last update (31/12/2013):
Arabian Golden Sparrow Passer euchlorus. KORC has decided to de-list this species after being in Kuwait Bird List for almost two years. There is now evidence that this species is sold in bird Markets in Jedda and Riyad, in KSA. Escapees have been seen in Riyad area for at least two years before it occurred in Kuwait. And recently has been confirmed breeding in the wild north of Riyad. We thus believe that this record of 13/11/2010 at Al-Abraq in not genuine vagrant from southern Arabia, but rather from the escaped birds from Riyad. Based on this recent knowledge, KORC has decided to de-list the bird, and it now considers it as an escapee.
Taxonomy changes since last update (31/12/2013):
- Common Quail Coturnix coturnix has been re-sequenced. It is now below Red-breasted Merganser in Kuwait Bird List.
- Pygmy Cormorant, the genus name has been updated and it is now Microcarbo. Before it used to be Phalacrocorax.
- African Darter Anhinga rufa is now split and no longer written as Anhinga (melanogaster) rufa.
- The falcons (Falconidae) have been re-sequenced and no longer after the eagles and buzzards. In Kuwait Bird List they are now after the Eurasian Wryneck.
- Purple Swamphen Porphyrio (porphyrio) poliocephalus. The breeding population in Kuwait and Arabia is now believed to be the subspecies poliocephalus. which is now considered synonymous to caspius & seistanicus hence the English name changed to Grey-headed Swamphen.
- The genus name of Franklin's Gull, Mediterranean Gull and Great Black-headed Gull has been changed to Leucophaeus. It used to be Larus.
- Westren Stock Dove Columba oenas. The addition of 'Western' is to differentiate it from a larger eastern subspecies Columba oenas yarkandensis
- Rose-ringed Parakeet Psittacula krameri. Resequenced and now appears in Kuwait List after the Barbary Falcon.
- Lesser Short-toed Lark Alaudala rufescens. The genus name has been changed to Alaudala instead of Calandrella, although morphologically similar to Greater Short-toed, they are not close to each other.
- Pale Crag Martin Ptyonoprogne obsoleta. IOC accepts split, it is now no longer Ptyonoprogne (fuligula) obsoleta in Kuwait Bird List.
- Rufous-tailed Scrub Robin Cercotrichas galactotes. It is no longer in genus Erythropygia. It is thus close Black Scrub Robin.
- White-throated Robin Irania gutturalis. Resequenced and became after Eastern Nightingale in Kuwait Bird List.
- Hooded Wheatear Oenanthe monacha. Resequenced, now after Isabelline Wheatear in Kuwait Bird List.
- Hume's Wheatear Oenanthe albonigra. Resequenced, now after White-crowned Wheatear in Kuwait List.
- Kurdistan Wheatear Oenanthe xanthoprymna. Resequenced, now Red-tailed Wheatear comes after it in Kuwait Bird List.
- Richard's Pipit Anthus richardi. IOC accepts split and thus no longer written as Anthus (novaseelandiae) richardi in Kuwait Bird List.
KORC Form: Birds that need submitting KORC Form is available here
The KORC Form is available here for download.
Completed forms can be sent via e-mail (preferred method) to KORC addressed to both: mikeinq8 'AT' gmail.com and alsirhan 'AT' alsirhan.com
Please name and save files in the following format:
Kuwait Ornithological Rarities Committee
KORC meets quarterly each year to review and adjudicate submitted Rarity Forms for species that are considered Vagrant,
Scarce and Rare, as well as other specified species that have low and infrequent abundance.
The completed Rarity Forms are reviewed, discussed and either accepted or rejected by the core KORC members (MP, SIR, PF) who are all based in Kuwait and consensus must be reached for a decision. If a decision cannot be reached, then the external adjudicators (OC, PK) are asked for their opinion for a final decision which requires a majority vote.
The current Committee is as follows:
- Mike Pope (voting member)
- Abdulrahman Al-Sirhan (voting member)
- Markus Craig, Neil Tovey and Humoud Al-Shayji (voting members)
- Peter Kennerley, Oscar Campbell (External voting member)
KORC Rarity Reports:
KORC Rarity Report for 2009
KORC Rarity Report for 2010
KORC Rarity Report for 2011
KORC Rarity Report for 2012
KORC Rarity Report for 2013
KORC Rarity Report for 2014
KORC Rarity Report for 2015